Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Syrian Brit Speaks

As you know I have been giving some attention to the neglected Syrian side of this war. Today it is the Syrian Brit's turn. He starts out this piece with a cry in the wind:

I really do not have anything new to say.. and even if I did, I ask you, who is actually reading this or paying any attention?..

Is anyone reading this able to do ANYTHING to stop the ongoing destruction?.. Even more, would the collective action of all those reading this blog, posting on their own blogs, or commenting on other blogs, result in saving a single road from destruction?.. a single house from demolition?.. even a single child from being blown up to bits?... I put it to you, my friends, that the answer is a resounding 'NO'!...
Well SB you are about to get some attention.

SB does make some interesting points. He starts out with how hard it is to change people's minds. Don't I know it SB. People get a world view and not even facts can change it. Excellent facts. Unassailable facts. Some times it takes a 2X4 upside the head to get people's attentiion.

SB then gets to his second point.
Our ability, as Arabs, to argue our position is very severely hamstrung by the fact that our own rulers, singularly and without exception, are corrupt, oppressive and authoritarian.. These rulers and regimes (please don't call them Governments.. that term implies the existence of systems and methods and rules and regulations.. those people do not deserve that title!.. but I digress again..).. where was I?.. yes.. these rulers and regimes will hijack any cause that stirs the masses, and use it to strengthen their hold, and tighten the noose around our collective neck.. And trust me, those whom you engage in a discussion can see it, too!.. and they will use that fact to undermine your argument..
Yes SB we have noticed. The disconnect from reality makes discussion, let alone change very difficult.

SB's third point follows from his second.
Our ability to argue any position is hampered even more by the fact that our society is full of hypocrisy and contradictions, and until we look inwards and examine our inner selves, we are going nowhere.. We cannot blame all our ills on the regimes and rulers.. We must take some responsibility for our collective destiny...
Ah yes the looking inwards problem. It is hard to fix yourself if it is every one else's fault. SB has more, written from the heart. He deserves the traffic. Give him some.

And SB, lets us hope the Maker's blessings follow from this horrible but necessary war. No more dictators, no more illusions, no more hatred.

Hat tip Fares

Technorati:
, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never happen.

Arabs, down to a man, are people who don't take reality seriously. They accept a host of rumors, though. And, their souks, or bazaars, are always open.

The thing to really learn, if you should go in to trade, is that they love to sucker Americans. They love to sucker people who don't barter.

So, if you really want something, the best advice is not to look interested. And, then, when you're given the high price; counter offer with a penny.

It's here that Israel is in trouble with Olmert. While, surprise, surprise, Amir Peretz has got the guts. He sat and watched the voting of ministers, while he got screwed with "abstentions" from Shimon Peres, Penis-pas. And, I think, Sneh.

SO, if you think the AMerican donkey-kong party hit a seams buster in Connecticut; you ain't seen nothing yet.

I'll bet that soon enough ahead it will be obvious. Olmert's really a reincarnation of Golda. And, the left will get wounded. While who knows? Amir Peretz may stand tall enough that he can garner, ahead, as many seats as Bibi. Win some. Lose some.

Olmert?

You're kidding me, RIIGHT?

He sidelined Mofaz. And, whatever the IDF does, he's still just a politician. Ya just never know how far you can take a stroke, as a lucky break.

But my ideas are open to challenge. As a matter of fact, I haven't even made up my own mind just yet. Have you? CAROL HERMAN (No idea how you get a blogger account, because I don't blog.)

M. Simon said...

Carol,

No need to blog. Just open up a blog and never use it. Then you will have an account.

Anonymous said...

Reading this post made me SO angry.

Readers of this post should go and check out the Syrian Brit's original blog, to get an idea of the extent of M.Simon's selective editing and propaganda, and how it absolutely does not reflect SB's views - It only reflects what M.Simon would like it to.

M.Simon, your blog is unbalanced and patronising, and I am utterly astounded that your half-baked analyses and comments are being taken seriously by anyone.

But then again, I guess that's the way that you Americans work - all propaganda and not many facts. Take your president for instance...



But I guess

M. Simon said...

Angry,

Well you know in America we have something called free speech.

You can say anything you want and interpret the evidence any way you see it.

Heck, if you want to you can make up stuff.

There is a link to the original in my post. Read it and come to your own conclusions.

Now just to get the record straight. I do not work for the government. My ideas are my own. Facts (such as they are) come from open sources with links where possible.

Now if your complaints were more specific I'd try to be more specific in my answers.

"You got everything wrong" (how?) is not conducive to rigorous discourse.

BTW i generally try to avoid patronizing folks unless they have something to sell. I am prone to the frequent unannounced snark. Sometimes.

M. Simon said...

angry,

You blog it, I'll link to it. Then readers can decide for themselves.

We are big on that here in America too.