Thursday, November 05, 2009

From Megan McArdle

Megan McArdle is discussing the split in the Republican Party. Her points are interesting but I especially like this comment.

Wes November 4, 2009 4:42 PM

The Warning: so long as the religious, non-northeastern right sets the agenda a) nationally, and b) in Our Own neck of the woods, Northeastern Republicans will question our association with the party. If this party is to return to it's height, this pushiness and contempt for we NE-R's has to stop, lest we suffer the fate of the Federalists or the Whigs. That said, I'm already wondering if it's not time for a realignment of the current party system.
Yeah. It seems that way to me too. I can't tell you how many times I have come across the sentiment: "We are in the majority. Suck it up." Well you know I don't have to suck it up. I can always vote for the Communists. And I have. Or I can stay home.

In a post a while back I said that it would take 12 years of losses for the Republicans to get reorganized sufficiently to attract enough voters to become a national party again. So lets see. Rs lost Congress in 2006. That means 2018 or 2020 before they turn it around. The Maker help us.

H/T Instapundit

No comments: