Friday, November 06, 2009

Find God Or Your Money Back

I have an atheist (nominally anyway) commenter who often argues that God is necessary for the maintenance of culture and civilization. Andrew Klavan makes the same point in a very humorous way.

Now I'm not a big fan of organized religion. Why should I be? God talks directly to me. And so far the advice has been all good (like "start a family you idiot" - something I put off until I was 38). Of course it could just be my mild schizophrenia talking. But the advice has been uniformly good. Well any way just do the sitting for ten minutes a day for 60 days that Klavan suggest (and you don't have to pray out loud - silence works better for some). What could it hurt? And maybe some time in that sixty days your schizophrenia will give you some good advice. Of course when listening you should beware of imposters. You know, the kind that tell you to go out and kill infidels or some such.

6 comments:

Pastorius said...

Yep.

(takes a sip of tea, and rocks in his porch swing)

Robohobo said...

I had two imps that sat on my shoulders for a time. One per shoulder. One good guy on the right. One definitely devilish little imp on the left. The one on the left and I had a lot of fun but the one on the right was such a nagging little wimp, I shot him.

M. Simon said...

Robohobo,

So you found a conscience. That is a start.

RavingDave said...

If you are referring to me, i'm not an athiest. I am a pro-theist agnostic. Athiesm relies on faith in absence of evidence just as much as theism.

If you are not referring to me, then I absolutely agree with whomever it is you are referring to. :)

RavingDave said...

Silly me. You are maybe talking about THIS guy ?




http://pajamasmedia.com/richardfernandez/2009/11/11/above-all-gods/#more-6701

M. Simon said...

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson

====

RD's link:

Above All Gods - Belmont Club