Sunday, May 22, 2005

Armed Forces Day 2005

I'm going to honor the vets with something I first wrote around Thanksgiving and posted over at 2Slick's. His mother sent me a nice e-mail. So this is for all our Armed Forces. Mothers and fathers. Sisters and brothers. Sons and daughters. And second cousins twice removed.

=========

Sacrifices

I was thinking today (and most other days in the past, weeks, months, and now years) about our Soldiers and Marines and Air Men and Sailors dying doing our work. And it hurts. And it makes me sad. And it makes me wonder if I have the right to call on their lives in my name.

It is a heavy burden. It weighed my heart down this Thanksgiving. There was just a little bitterness from the food. The sweets were not perfectly sweet. I think of all the Thanksgivings our young men and women are giving up to do a very dirty job for us. We have asked them to turn a sewer into a home for a bunch of people many of whom resent their help. Oh yes. Some of you are going to get killed doing the job. Not many as compared to previous sewer cleanings. But still. On the average 3 of you a day out of one hundred and thirty thousand. And how can I ask for the gift of your life. It weighs heavily on me.

And that got me to thinking. About the towers. The jumpers most of all. The jumpers. So I was thinking some more about that day and the days after. And the people on flight 93 counter attacking 90 minutes after the first attack. The counter attack was successful. But the whole attacking party died to win that victory. Not to mention those on the plane who only watched. Those are some heavy odds. And Americans rose to the challenge. After taking a vote. How American. We started that tradition in the Revolutionary War where the militia voted for its own officers. A democratic army of the people.

And I said to myself, what can I do to honor their sacrifice too? The citizen soldiers who have shown the way for our fine boys and girls.

So I have said this many times since I found out about flight 93. Silently. To myself.If I am ever in position to make a counterattack I promise to make it in the same spirit as our fine military and flight 93. Without regard to my own life.

Thank you all for all you have given to this country. And when my opportunity comes I only hope I can be as courageous and worthy.

Armed Forces Day 2005

Welcome Winds of Change readers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a slightly different view of a "soldiers sacrifice". It robs not from the homage you pay those who do such hard things for us. But, it puts "sacrifice" in a different light.
http://rofasix.blogspot.com/2005/05/on-soldiers-sacrifice-in-iraq.html