Thursday, December 13, 2007

STEM

STEM stands for The Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education Institute. It is a volunteer program designed to get kids interested in science and technology.

One of its programs is an effort to increase scientific understanding among K-12 school teachers. Another program is STEM Rays, a program to encourage more science clubs in grades 4 to 8. Start early and you will get these kids for life. At the very least it will help reduce scientific illiteracy in America. Which is a good thing.

H/T commenter Chatteron

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post on STEM -- we most certainly see eye-to-eye on this. Incidentally, here is a link to the program that I am personally involved with -- 2 years as director and 3 as lab supervisor:

http://www.stthomas.edu/engineering/outreach/steps/default.html

I know you are an aerospace guy -- you'll be happy to know that each young attendee builds and flys their own RF controlled plane. It's a lot of fun -- I wish more practicing engineers and scientists would volunteer in greater quantities. We need all the help we can get!

M. Simon said...

My personal situation is up in the air for the next 3 to 9 months.

I have committed to help with the engineering on the Bussard reactor if the WB-7 tests are promising.

If that doesn't pan out I will do something with STEM.

In the mean time give me a heads up on anything that needs attention.

I can post.