Friday, December 08, 2006

Bomb Plot

No I'm not talling about Pearl Harbor. I'm talking about a jihadi in Illinois. From Rockford. Where I currently reside. Who planned to bomb one of our biggest and most prestigeous malls.

(CBS) CHICAGO A 22-year-old Rockford man with an ambition to become a terrorist has been arrested by federal authorities on allegations that he planned to set off grenades in garbage cans in a mall in Rockford, Ill., according to CBS affiliate WBBM-TV.

Derrick Shareef, of Rockford, was arrested on Wednesday by FBI agents from the Chicago Joint Terrorism Task Force, the U.S. Attorney's office said.

He was apprehended after meeting with an undercover agent in a Rockford store parking lot to trade a set of stereo speaksers for four hand grenades and a handgun, the U.S. Attorney's office said.

Shareef was charged with one count of count of attempting to damage or destroy a building by fire or explosion and one count of attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, authorities said.

Shareef allegedly planned to set off the grenades at the CherryVale Shopping Mall, near Interstate 90 and Interstate 39 on Rockford's east side. The mall has about 130 retail stores and is owned byy a Tennessee-based company, authorities said.
I'm going to turn on local radio to see if I can learn more.

Updates as they become available.

May I suggest WNTA AM a Rockford talk radio station with an internet feed. You can call in at 815-874-8255.

WROK AM another Rockford talk radio station.

I heard on WNTA that the jihadi was a Nation of Islam convert.

My daughter is scheduled to play saxaphone in a Christmas concert at the Cherry Vale Mall next week.

My First Mate is in a panic.

I explained it was probably the safest mall in America these days.

Our #2 son is at the University of Chicago. My First Mate was worried about big city terrorism. I explained that the jihadis could hit anywhere. She didn't believe me.

Now she is a believer.

The Rockford Register Star has an article on the jihadi's Genoa (Illinois) connection.

Update: 09 Dec'06 1527z

Riehl World Viewhas some interesting comments and links including one about a previous suicide bomber at the mall.

3 comments:

linearthinker said...

...he planned to set off grenades in garbage cans...

One at a time? I suppose you could rig a cherry bomb with a cigarette fuse delay to blow off the grenade pin and stuff the whole shebang in a dixie cup...if you were good.

Sounds like a nut. Wonder if he's related to that Richard What's-his-name who couldn't detonate his shoe.

I know. Too soon to jump to conclusions. Sorry. How long will it take for the "poor disturbed youth with mental problems" explanation to surface? We should start a pool.

Congratulations to whichever agencies got the guy.

M. Simon said...

I was listening to WNTA. The host already came up with the lone nut explanation.

A caller called in later to say that we are at war and ought to take it seriuosly.

M. Simon said...

The critical thinker's url: ghettoest-terror-plot-in-history