Sunday, June 28, 2009

How I Spent My Saturday Afternoon



The Rockford Yacht Club was giving free sail boat rides to any one who wanted one this afternoon. So my mate and I went to see if we couldn't get a ride. We got there a little after 12 and got signed up for 4 PM. My mate and I decided to take a little walk around the park (Rock Cut State Park - one of our favorites) and then head home and come back later. When we got done with our little walk Scott's boat had just got in and he asked us if we wanted to go out now. Of course we said yes. So we spent the next hour and a half cruising the lake. We had an afternoon of moderately stiff winds (10 to 15 mph). My job was to reset the jib when the tack put it on the starboard side. I also liked leaning out over the water when the boat was heeling. Captain Scott alluded to the fact that not all his previous passengers appreciated such maneuvers. My first mate and I thought it was marvelous. And of course a lot of time was spent telling sea stories. Great fun.

Oh. Yeah. The boat in the video is the one we sailed on. The Flying Scot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally, something positive from you on Wind power!