Monday, February 16, 2009

What Engineers Do



Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

I especially liked Part 5 where one engineer describes what it is like to commit other people's lives to one of your designs. I had that feeling a lot working in aerospace on jet aircraft. I still get that feeling when a plane goes down. Was it one I worked on? Was the failure because of something I did?

Physicists dream of Nobel prizes, engineers dream of mishaps.” - Hendrik Tennekes

So where is this generation's Apollo Program? How about fusion powered rockets? A trip to Mars in 3 or 4 weeks? There is a way that has a chance to do it: Polywell Fusion. Because no mater how much work is done on tokamaks (ITER etc.) they are never going to be light enough to get us into space.

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded by the Obama administration?
Bussard's IEC Fusion Technology (Polywell Fusion) Explained

H/T Billy Catringer at Talk Polywell

Cross Posted at Classical Values

No comments: