Monday, September 12, 2011

My Man Godfrey

One of my favorite comedies is a movie from 1936, My Man Godfrey. It is definitely a depression era movie. Part of the opening dialog is - One denizen (Powell): "Prosperity is just around the corner." Another denizen: "Been there a long time." I guess they weren't having a Recovery Summer then either.

My favorite line from the film? "She's not having a spell. That's old stuff."

The movie is all about the misbehavior of a rich family. William Powell is the "street person" from the city dump turned butler and Carole Lombard is the daughter of the rich businessman.

Watch the movie or download it for free at Internet Archive. Which is definitely cheaper than NetFlix. Kind of important if you are trying to keep out of the dumps.

Cross Posted at Classical Values

No comments: