Thursday, June 11, 2009

Testing Speakers



I have always liked China Grove as a good test song for Rock 'n Roll speakers. If the mids and highs are good and the bass line thumps clearly I like 'em. This cover of China Grove is pretty durn good. Especially the instrumental portion. Another one I like for testing is Marshall Tucker's Fire On the Mountain which gives a good test of the mids and highs. With just enough bass so IM if severe will show up. Another good one is Bob Dylan's All Along The Watchtower.

Well my mate got me an early Father's Day Present of these speakers: Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System

How do they sound? Well I like them. Not the thumping base of big floor speakers but for the price she paid - very nice. The bass unit has a volume control so you can adjust the balance to suit. Let me add that the speakers are very quiet when there is no signal. I always like that.

Cross Posted at Classical Values

2 comments:

Pastorius said...

I like Neil Young's Harvest album, or Weather Report's first album.

Sade's music is also recorded in such a way that it presents a great test for balance. Or, Joshua Redman's acoustic jazz.

Most modern music is way too bass-heavy to be a reasonable test.

M. Simon said...

Agreed about modern music. But that is exactly what I wanted the speakers for. The clarity of the mids and highs are excellent and the bass thumps as much as you can expect from a small box. And the bass distortion is not too bad. Nothing like a set of JBLs of course. But JBLs wouldn't fit on my computer table.

The bass distortion I did notice may have something to do with the fact that I have the bass boosted to the max.