Friday, October 10, 2008

A New Secular Religion

OK. Here is the deal. Communism is a secular religion. Now we could attack it by countering with religion which means attacking not only the economic understanding but in addition you have to make a non-believer a believer. That is a two factor problem.

Easier to reduce it to a one factor problem. Define a secular religion that makes a republic work. We could call it Educated Patriotism.

Let me start with the first precept:

Honesty is the best policy


Here is the second:

Doubt. Even the truth.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning."

Unfortunately, I see a fundamental need for belief in something. Like having something to anchor a fabric/fractal on.

Carried too far, doubt will slowly be filled in by a creeping certainty, even as those within its grasp see themselves as open-minded.

I suspect that is what is currently happening to the Left.

M. Simon said...

I'm a fan of AC too!