Sunday, July 11, 2010

USB Modem For Your PC

A while back when my Windows XP box died I was able, with some help from my readers and my mom, to get a Gateway DX4831-01. A very nice machine with lots of ports. But a modem port was not one of the built in options. The first mate of course was always pestering me to send FAXes to take care of various bits of business, so I went searching Amazon for a USB Modem. This is the one I got:



I had set up my Win 7 for 64 bits and I found that none of the software included on their CD was of ANY use. Dang. Well I don't give up easy. So I went looking around. First thing I went to the TRENDnet site and went looking for my modem. I got to the modem page and found a Win 7 64 bit driver and downloaded it. I loaded the driver (ran the .exe) and when it finished I plugged in the modem (you will not be prompted) after I connected it to a phone line. Then I went to the Win icon and clicked Devices and Printers. You get a modem (USB) icon and also a FAX icon. I clicked on the FAX icon and away I went. One other thing. Not every USB port on my computer worked with the modem. So you may have to try plugging it in to different USB ports.

If you want to get a dial-up connection to a server or ISP click Devices and Printers and then right click on the modem icon and then click on Dial-up Networking. I did not try this since I have a cable modem.

Because of the odd shape I think a USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable is definitely in order.

This modem has served my needs well so far and I would definitely buy another.

Cross Posted at Classical Values

No comments: