Thursday, July 17, 2008

Northern Illinois University - DeKalb

I have spent the day at Northern Illinois University at DeKalb student/parent orientation. I was there for my #3 son who is enrolling in their electronic/electrical engineering program. From what I can tell it is a very good program. Their aim is not only training engineers but also placing them in industry. They have an excellent co-op program. I spent some time talking with the dean of the program and I was impressed. Their philosophy is that you are not a real engineer unless you can do real engineering. Book larnin' is not enough. Their program is wide ranging from circuit design to manufacturing engineering and program management.

If you are looking for a school that will help your son or daughter get real world skills I'd have to say that it seems like a very fine school. I'll probably have more to say about it as I get some experience (through my son) with the program.

No comments: