Friday, April 29, 2005

Rights from the Ceator, Laws from Men

I was just reading part of a speech Al Gore gave about the recent intrusion of religious zealots into the laws of our country. He makes a very good point:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident," our founders declared. "That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights..."

But while our rights come from God, as our founders added, "governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just power from the consent of the governed."

So, unlike our inalienable rights, our laws are human creations that derive their moral authority from our consent to their enactment-informed consent given freely within our deliberative processes of self-government.
Sounds pretty good to me. When did Al get his marbles back?

I'm not sure he is ready to handle the war but he sure as hell has got an ear to the mood of the country.

Men making laws can be wrong even when acting in what they believe is the spirit of God. Say didn't I mention that the Republicans could learn a lot from alcohol prohibition? I believe I did.

No comments: