Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I Voted

Bush, Obama. McKay.

I asked my first mate if she voted for McKay. Nope.

Well why not I asked? She said it was because of assault weapons. Pete thinks assault weapons should be legal.

Oh. Says I. Did you know the whole assault weapons bit is a scam?

Well this long discussion ensued. Now my first mate is no gun hater. As soon as we get some dollars up (Pay Pal works to my e-mail address, drop me a line) I'm taking my oldest daughter (13) to the gun range to pop a few caps for familiarization. With my mate's encouragement.

So after explaining what was what. And saying that pieces like the Mac10 (or some such I didn't see the "news") might be useful if certain idiots started blowing things up in the country. Then she chimes up that concealed carry (which we don't have in Illinois) is a good idea because then the malefactors might not know who was armed and who wasn't.

Then I pointed out that the whole thing was one of trusting your neighbors. If you couldn't trust them all was lost.

She kind of went silent for a minute. Thought about it.

And then we started talking about something else.

She got it.

America what a great country.

BTW I hope Pete wins. He pretty much has a libertarian attitude towards government. I like that. He used to come to Libertarian meetings a lot in times past. He liked the Libertarian attitude.

--==--

For those of you not local. Pete is running for county board. He has been on the board for a number of years and done a good job keeping the highway contractors honest. We moved into his district last year.

No comments: